Over the past century, the Knife & Fork Inn has led a long and colorful life, making it one of the oldest and most historically charged establishments in Atlantic City. Standing where Atlantic, Pacific and Albany Avenues converge, the Knife & Fork was originally established in 1912 by then Atlantic City Mayor William Riddle, the Commodore Louis Kuehnle, and their cronies as an exclusive men’s drinking and dining club. The second floor was graced with curtained dining alcoves and a separate “ladies lounge” where women, who were not permitted at the bar, waited to be summoned. Private rooms on the third and fourth floors were used for gambling and, perhaps, other activities.During Prohibition, rebellious club members defied the laws of an alcohol-free society and continued to openly serve liquor at the bar. The club survived without being raided for some time, perhaps due to the influence of Enoch “Nucky” Johnson, the reigning political boss, who was a Knife & Fork regular.In January 2005, Frank Dougherty and his family purchased the historic restaurant and embarked upon an extensive renovation project to refurbish the landmark and wow a whole new generation of guests. The 2005 renovation of this legendary Atlantic City steak and seafood restaurant was designed to recapture the look and feel of the Knife & Fork’s Prohibition era roots, including rich mahogany millwork, hand-painted ceilings, a sweeping staircase, and lushly appointed dining rooms. The Knife & Fork’s famous red roof tiles were removed and replaced to allow for the repair of the roof. Gone is the peeling exterior, replaced with a fresh white stucco surface, just like the original. The distinctive crossed knife and fork emblems, many of which were broken or decaying, were reproduced in a more durable material and continue to adorn the façade.